‘Pro-Life’ Evangelist Franklin Graham Downplays COVID-19, Compares It to Car Crashes and Non-Contagious Illnesses
“Pro-life” evangelist Franklin Graham tried to downplay the contagious COVID-19 virus to non-contagious conditions such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, suicide, abortion and car crashes in an ignorant rant on Facebook:
On Sunday the media reported that 600,000 people had died from coronavirus worldwide. That’s a tragic number that should concern all of us and prompt us to take precautions. I feel for each of the grieving families that have lost loved ones to this virus. However, we must also keep the number in perspective and fight against a pandemic of fear. Here are a few other numbers to consider that are also concerning and tragic:
· An estimated 17 million people die of cardiovascular disease, particularly heart attacks and strokes, every year worldwide; 647,000 in America alone—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths in the country.
· Cancer was responsible for an estimated 9.6 million deaths in 2018, and is the second leading cause of death globally.
· The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Global Burden of Disease study estimate that almost 800,000 people die from suicide every year. That’s one person every 40 seconds.
· According to WHO, between 2010–2014, on average, 56 million induced (safe and unsafe) abortions occurred worldwide each year.
· Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world. Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in road traffic crashes involving cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians.
(Source: Franklin Graham/Facebook)